Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 9 (Sept 18) - Naracoorte to Tintinara - 147k

I rolled out of Naracoorte just after 8am for what was going to be a very big day. In order to be at Murray Bridge by tomorrow night, either today or tomorrow had to be a '150k' day. I chose today, and chose wisely. Firstly - NO WIND today. It was calm, a blue sky with only the slightest breath of breeze into the afternoon. Conditions for cycling were perfect. My knees were in pain however from the day before, so I was conscious that despite the huge distance, I had to allow the knees to be protected and nursed today.

According to the GPS at end of day, the road dropped in altitude by a whole 40mtrs over the course of the 147k - in other words a very flat run today, so much so that I found myself looking forward to any slight hills to allow some relaxation down the other side. However, not today. It was all pedalling.

Some 30k out of Naracoorte was the first signs that Adelaide was coming into the picture. I was aiming for Padthaway for morning tea, the first break and then Keith for lunch, the second break. The little hamlet of Tintinara never once got a mention on any signboard.
 Much of the first 100k was beautiful wine country. However, I am always intrigued by the good old Aussie windmill, and saw my chance to get a photo of which also featured the bike. This was it. This was also Orlando Wine country.The bike was rolling along nicely, maintaining an excellent average of about 22kph, the highest for this entire trip. I was trying though to spread out the energy, knowing I had a long day in the saddle.
At the 46k mark I called in to Padthaway for morning tea. This was only two hours riding, the bike was just knocking over the k's in good time. This was a 'one roadhouse' little community, and I enjoyed my conversation with the fellow who ran the store. I also enjoyed his coffee and the custard tart he forced me to eat! From there I pushed on to Keith at the 108k mark, but because the township was a few k off the highway, I chose not to turn in. Instead I stopped under a tree at the turnoff and had a muesli bar for lunch. As I stood there, a beautiful young lady pulled up with the most wonderful of smiles, at first making me think that she must have known me from somewhere. However, she had not long returned from her own bike adventure in Latvia, and was just wanting to chat. She was a daughter of one of the local property owners. I am sorry I didn't get her name, but she promised to check out the blog. She was a great young Aussie with an adventurous spirit, so much so that her bike adventure was cut short by a sky diving accident where she broke a leg. She wished me well. It was great to meet her. Hopefully she will be in touch so I can give her a name!
s
The final 39k seemed a little longer in passing. Amazingly the bike maintained the 22kph average all day long, but the final 20-30k's seemed to pass a little more slowly. Just north of Keith the Riddoch Highway that I had been following since Mt Gambier, joined the 'Dukes Highway' which is the main highway coming from Melbourne to Adelaide. The traffic was faster and more furious, keeping me on my toes.

Finally, the first and only sign to Tintinara, with only about 2k to go. Tintinara is a very small community on the 'Coorong'. The Coorong is a geographical expanse in the se corner of South Australia. It is a vast national Park and lagoon ecosystem. It is a corruption of two aboriginal names that mean "long neck" (referring to the shape of the lagoon system) and "sand dune" in reference to the vast sand dunes along this desolated length of coastline.


 Just after 4pm I rolled into Tintinara. I was booked in at the Tintinara Hotel, a pub room which included breakfast. Two young brothers looked after me, even took pity on me and carried my bags and bike to my upstairs room. Once they settled me in, they locked the pub for the night, leaving me alone with a key. I walked across the road to the servo/diner where the fellow turned on the largest meal of snitzell, chips and salad for $10. It was a meal fit for an army, not just a single foot soldier. At the pub I discovered a treasure. The local footy team who had won the grand final this weekend, did their 'pub crawl'  with this beautiful old  bicycle - a Malvern Star no less. It was now left abandoned, so I put in a good word for my wife Julie who I know would treasure it. They may just ship it home. What a lovely home coming gift it will be for Julie!
Just finally, as I have reflected on the day, I have thought of several things. Firstly the sense of isolation in this long stretch of the 'Coorong'. Secondly, the beautiful vineyards which have been provided good company for me for at least the first part of today. I took time out to stare at the vineyards, and thought again about those well known words of Jesus in John 15. "I am the vine. You are the branches". Today I saw the truth of this in a new light. Life can too often feel as isolated as being in the middle of the Coorong. But with our lives enjoined with His life, life takes on a whole new meaning.
Tomorrow I reach the Murray River.

Until then...

KRA





1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelvin, You have gone on a magnificent journey, both physically and Spiritually. I hope it has given you the enjoyment that you anticipated and beyond.

    I love your story telling - well done.

    Kevan

    ReplyDelete