Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 17 (Sept 26) - Kerang to Echuca - 99k

It was a pleasant night in the van, although I was surprised to be rather cold in the sleeping bag. The night passed quickly, and I awoke to yet another near perfect day. I wasn’t in such a great hurry today – it was only about 96k to Echuca. I cooked the ALDI porridge on the stove, and I must confess it was delicious with the sultanas (no sugar of course in this van that has ‘everything’.

I rolled away about 8:45am, but got about 100mts before stopping at the Kerang Shire Museum. I was particularly taken by this magnificent tractor. Two retired farmers wondered over to meet me – then there were three – all over 80, but who commit their time and passion in collecting what I consider to be the greatest and best collection of old farm machinery, tractors, vintage home-made trucks, cars, drays, carriages…even bicycles, the pride being a 19th century penny farthing in near perfect condition. They proudly showed me through their numerous large sheds. It was quite an enterprise, and a great credit to them.
I eventually dawdled into Kerang – a most beautiful, peaceful country town just coming alive on a Monday morning. I took the back way out of town, and eventually turned out on the Murray Valley Highway heading for Echuca. The wind was in my face which was rather annoying, taking the shine off the day.

The road opened up – it was flat, and rather uninteresting with the wind sweeping across the open fields into my face.

I must say the countryside, although open and bland at times, has other interesting features. It was a little sad to come cross this old church which had seen better days. Sadly, I have seen many like this. I would like to think it does not reflect the condition of the church in the rural areas, but I have a feeling that it does. My prediction is that within 50-70 years the dominant property for the church will be the lounge rooms of its members.
It wasn’t long before I rolled into one of the prettiest little towns with obvious huge civic pride – Cohuna. It was time for coffee. I quickly struck up conversation with one of Cohuna’s cycling fraternity – he proudly told me all about his bike and his huge dog. It was good to chat, and he certainly did not mind having his photo taken.
 
It was time to hit the breeze once more. Now and again the wind would come around behind me, and it was glorious cycling. As it was, I was maintaining a trip average of 21kph, but to keep that it meant sitting on 24-25kph. I was in the mood for pushing the bike today.
I cant resist the water shots. This is not the Murray, but in fact one of the waterways that service local irrigation, although would be connected somehow with the Murray. The sights were just as lovely, and again I was looking for ‘sticks that move’ as I got down close to the water amongst the grass, sticks and roots of the many trees.


The closer I got to Echuca, the more cows and dairy life became evident. Here was a cow that did not have any stage fright. It was almost as if she was standing on a box and wanting to speak to me.

The magpies were out in force today. Mostly, they were novices but in one incident a magpie hit me so hard in the helmet it almost knocked my helmet off. She caught me well and truly off-guard so it was quite a shock. Actually, I think it shocked the magpie too because she didn’t try it again!
After just 4hrs 30mins on the bike and almost 100k, I rolled into the incredible historic port of Echuca. I made for the port itself. It was like a time capsule had taken me back more than 100 years. The old port had been restored to something like it would have been in the mid 1800’s, including the beautiful river boats all lined up in the old port.

There is something really beautiful about these old river queens. Everywhere I looked there was a photo opportunity. I loved in particular the old ‘Canberra’.
It was now just after 3pm. I made my way up town to find the Motel that I had booked in to, showered quickly then made my way back with my camera. It was a funny feeling to be on the bike without all my bags, in fact I found the bike difficult to handle; it wobbled a lot and I found it hard to balance! This time I went down and around the wet river flats where I could get a lot closer to a lot more of the boats. I enjoyed getting these photos:



And some more. The gum trees are so magnificent. I think each gum tree is its own work of art. They are so majestic and beautiful, and a fitting complement to this the grandest of all Australian rivers.



I was really enjoying myself, but had to be careful as I walked on the wet muddy bottom of what was obviously the Murray river bed at low tide, if there is such a thing. I was already mud up to my ankles, and the bike was also filthy. I was beginning to think that I would really need a whole day to explore this place of significant heritage, but the sun was beginning to set and my plan was already locked in for tomorrow.
I think this boat takes my prize for the most beautiful - 'Billy Tea' gets my Murray River houseboat award. Having taken this photo, I turned for 'home' - my nice Motel room on the outskirts of town where for an extra $5 I was able to negotiate a full breakfast including bacon and eggs. I was already feeling sad that I would be missing my ALDI 3min Porridge, but thems the breaks!
It wasn’t such a long day today. As I rolled in to the Motel, the bike registered 99k on the clock. Tomorrow the goal is Yarrawonga, approximately 125k before the final run into Albury on Wednesday.
Just finally….I travel most days without a map. I might look at it in the iPad the night before, commit it to memory, then simply follow the signs along the way. Most of the time this is fine, except when I want to cut across country, or take country roads that are not clearly marked. Then it can get a bit tricky, and I may end up having to take instructions from a local.
Someone drew Psalm 25 to my attention overnight. Reflecting on life itself, I related to the verses that say "Show me your ways O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour".
Life is much more complex than following a road or a marked highway. I need a wisdom beyond my own to keep me on the right way. I am glad that in the 'ride of life' I have a divine hand that shows me the right way.
Until tomorrow
KRA


1 comment:

  1. Great photos and story. Keep peddling Julie x

    ReplyDelete