Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 16 (Sept 25) - Boundary Bend to Kerang - 148k

The sun dawned over the beautiful Boundary Bend, revealing a near perfect blue sky. Again, it was hard to leave. I had fallen in love with this magnificent jewel of the Murray. Last night I met Stan. We stood chatting as we gazed out over the Murray. He told me some of his story. I was up and dressed early, wanting to be on the road soon after 7:30am knowing it was going to be a long day on the road. I wanted to see Stan once more before I departed. He had just sold his houseboat, and purchased this ‘mobile home’. He was travelling to north coast NSW to be closer to his 23 yr old daughter and his new granddaughter. His wife….she committed suicide some months earlier. We had struck up an amazing friendship. I wanted to say goodbye. He was outside his ‘mobile’ sipping on an early morning cuppa.
I wished him well. I told him he was doing the right thing. His precious daughter needed her Dad. His granddaughter needed her granddad. I am not ashamed to say that as we said our final goodbyes, I expressed the blessing of God on his life, and he on mine, two grown men were fighting back tears….at least I know one of us was. As I rode away, it took a while for me to begin to see clearly, such is the impact of friendships made on such a pilgrimage as this.



I said goodbye to the Murray for many hours, and the countryside became very flat and very open. It was 4 degrees when I left the Bend, so I had all my winter gear on again except my long tights. I knew it would eventually warm up. The k’s slipped by slowly but surely. My first main stop for lunch was to be Swan Hill at 90k. There was a solid breeze from the south east, straight into my face. It was worth about 3kph (without the wind, the bike easily lifted 3kph). I was making reasonable time, and actually maintained an average all day of 20kph.

Boundary Bend is not only famous for the Caravan Park. I discovered as I pulled away from the ‘Bend’ that it is Australia’s largest olive farmer (Boundary Bend Ltd) and producer of extra virgin olive oil. As I rolled past the processing factory, it was bigger than a Qantas hangar, and the fields of olive trees were as far as the eye could see at times. This photo does no justice to what I saw for mile after mile, on both sides of the road.

At the 45k mark I pulled in to a small ‘rest area’ where the Murray had come back to touch the roadside again, about 1k from the tiny intersection and general store at Piangil. It was a good time for morning tea (a muesli bar and a drink of water). I find the Murray simply enchanting. I cannot stop taking photos of this most magnificent icon of Australian geographical history.

While I was there, it was too much temptation to take some ‘studio’ photos of the Murray, given that I probably will not be back here for a long time to come.



I was not alone in the ‘rest’ spot beside the river. A vehicle with caravan attached was parked to the side but there was no sign of life. I assumed they had driven in and gone for a walk. However, suddenly ‘Jim’ emerged from the caravan to say hello. He was older, friendly and seemed to like to chat. He explained that he was several days too early for the Mildura music festival (country and western) and decided to pull in to this beautiful spot. He was 70yrs of age, but looked ten years younger. He asked my age and said he admired people like me who ‘have a go’. I was invited to share a ‘drink’ but sadly I had a long day ahead, Jim insisted on using my camera to take some photos. He was a very decent fellow, and I was also sorry to not have more time to share friendship with him. He took a reasonable photo. He wanted to make sure the backdrop was just right!

Today, and certainly the morning was filled with the strong aroma of the smell of bush flowers, and the rich pollens of the flowers and the trees. The bush is alive with flowers – the yellows, purples and whites making the bush a kaleidoscope of colour and smell. As Swan Hill got closer, these small bush flowers became more prominent. They grow wild, but appear as if they have been planted professionally.

The k’s gradually climbed. The day was still cool, probably due to the strong southerly wind. I stayed in my arm warmers all day, but discarded the jacket late morning. Eventually Swan Hill came into focus, and as my computer registered 88k, I was rolling into the township of Swan Hill, and back to the edge of the Murray. I ventured off course fractionally just so I could photograph the bridge over the Murray that crosses in to NSW.

It was a day for people wanting to talk and take my photo. This very lovely young lady saw me about to take a photo of the river, when she asked if she could take one with me in it. She was lovely, even showing me how to take a self-photo. She was cute and cheeky at the same time – asking why I am cycling when there are buses and trains. She walked away with a lovely smile.

I enjoyed lunch at Swan Hill, and then faced the final 60k to Kerang. It was now 2pm. I was knocking the k’s over consistently at 20kph, but I have to confess the enthusiasm was not there in the legs all afternoon. It was sheer discipline that kept the legs churning out the k’s, still into that wind. I was working on three lots of 20k stints, broken into respective 5k segments. I passed the meritorious 100k south of Swan Hill as I approached the lakeside community of Lake Boga, famous for the Catalina flying planes developed for use in WW2. Sadly, no time to stop in at the Catalina Museum.
There is something about bumping over train lines. I have done this countless times. This time I thought I should record it for posterity.



As I got closer to Kerang, I approached a similar crossing. Just as I hit the crossing and bounced through, the alarm bells started and the railway gates dropped just as I bounced off the crossing. Within seconds, the train came through, giving a toot on his horn. I only just made it through literally by seconds. It happened all very quickly. The car behind me was stopped at the crossing.
The magpies were back at it today, with a vengeance. I must give it to them today. I scored one with a 10 out of 10. She was persistent, and ‘clapped’ me on both ears with her wings. I gave her my congratulations. Yesterday was a magpie free day, but I had my first encounter with a ferocious farm dog, a kind of ‘staffy/kelpie’ cross. I was idling out of town, when this dog came at me at ‘100mph’ from the farmhouse gate – its ears were pegged back and coming at me like a train. I was otherwise enjoying the morning sunshine, but in the seconds it took for this dog to clear the naturestrip and come flying at me, I cranked up the bike despite all its load, and it was a real contest. The dog in its ferocity came around the back of the bike and was in biting distance from my left pedal as the bike gathered enough speed now to just keep out of his way. He knew he was beaten. He came second. It took several minutes for my heart rate to get back to normal, and for the bike to settle at cruising speed again. Kelvin 1, farm dogs 0!

I calculated earlier in the day that it would be 5pm by the time I would make it to Kerang. It was within minutes of this when I rolled over the bridge spanning the Loddin River, and sighted the signs to the Kerang caravan park on the entrance to this lovely Victorian country town. The sights of the Loddin were just as attractive as I have seen in parts of the Murray. Another irrisistable photo....



The lady at the caravan park was funny. It went like this. Me “I have a booking for an on-site van”. Her “We don’t have on-site vans. We have cabins, we have vans, but not on-site vans. Everything is on-site”. Me “ok, I wont argue….but that’s what we call them where I come from”. Her “where are you from?” Me…..I lost interest. Me “does it have a kitchen”. Her “yes, it has everything……but do you have a sleeping bag and pillow”. Me ”well, yes”. Her “Fine, because we don’t supply bedding”. Me “what else doesn’t it have?” Her “It has everything…I told you that”. I gave up, wondering…..
Okay – it’s a lovely ‘cabin’ – but no towels, no bedding, no soap, no tea and coffee…..but it has everything! Actually, it is great – it is just fortunate I have my own small towel, a fraction larger than a face flannel! It will be a sleeping bag tonight, but in a double bed with an improvised pillow. The lady - she was actually a gem. She walked me to the 'cabin', talking all the way, just wanting me to be comfortable, showing me with pride where I could best put the bike, where to buy food, how to get out of town tomorrow. Yes, she was big hearted....just a character.
After showering, I went for a walk to town. It was just on dusk. I delighted in this photo!



Tomorrow is a shorter day – 96k to Echuca. I plan to take it easy, enjoy this town before I leave, and then roll nicely to Echuca. Today I have reached 1641k, and estimate a mere 408k to home. Today was a long day on the saddle – 9 hours on the road, 7.5hrs of actual riding time sitting on that tiny seat.
I am grateful to those who have made contact, and given words of encouragement. It is much appreciated. The legs are weary, but otherwise I am doing well, feeling fine, certainly happy within. I’ve lost a few kilos. Today the wind cut my eyes rather badly. I look like I’ve been in the surf all day. Nothing that a night’s sleep won’t solve.
And just finally….I have seen many beautiful sights today. The Murray is enchanting....but then there are the flowers, the birds and especially the beautiful gum trees by the thousands, each one a work of art.

Incredibly though, it is people who have impacted me greatly today. I mentioned Stan this morning, there was Adie last night who just seemed to delight in serving the most magnificent dinner to this stranger. Today a lady passed me, turned around and came back to me to just chat. She shook hands and then turned and drove away again. There was Jim at the Piangil 'rest' spot, the lovely girl at Swan Hill bridge, and of course,...the big hearted lady at the caravan park. The magnificence of Psalm 8 suggests that despite the sheer beauty of all of creation, God sees the greatest beauty and magnificence in....people, human creation. "What is it about 'man' that you are mindful of him"...the Psalmist enquires, having just described how God at creation put all the splendour of the Heavens in place, yet seems more preoccupied with his creativity in human creation above everything else.

Whether people put trust in God or not, there is no mistaking that each of us bear something of the image of the creator himself. All of us have something of His beauty, something of his character, something of his goodness, and much more of His grace and love of which we will ever be aware.

I think its worth reflection....just as I have captured the reflection of the windmill in the water (above), all of us at least in a small way bear some kind of reflection of the creator Himself. It is important not to overlook the beauty and reflection of the creator in the lives of those with whom we connect from day to day. 

Until tomorrow....

KRA


No comments:

Post a Comment